Skip to main content

Murky Monday

Not such a great day, weather wise, today, but we have still managed a good walk to one of the raised beaches on the northern coast of Colonsay.  We have had spits and spots of rain, heavy rain, smearny rain, weak glimmers of sunshine and cold air all day.  

Early morning walk :
 Walk from Kiloran to the raised beach :
An ancient ancient gorse bush which looks like something from Middle Earth.
Below, can you see a distinguished profile of a man who looks as though he is a player in a Shakespearean drama!
In the distance, very faintly, we could see the isle of Mull.
The raised beach
The product of a wet afternoon, spent fiddling about with strands of willow, birch, bramble and honeysuckle, then finished off with the skeleton leaves of magnolia.  Not exactly a masterpiece, and a real struggle because I didn't know what I was doing, but I managed to fashion a sort of something!
By nine o'clock this evening the strong winds had blown the rain clouds away towards the mainland, and the skies were clear.  I took the dogs down on to the beach at Kiloran for a much needed run around.  
In between mouthfuls of seaweed, Ted took off!  
 The best bit?  We had the whole place to ourselves!

Comments

  1. Looks so divine. Ted looks regal sitting there viewing his personal beach. Wish I was there. Feeling a bit blah at moment. Mojo gone...could do with a change of scenery.
    Enjoy it all - lots going on when you return.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colonsay is good for the spirit and the soul. It's going to be ridiculously hard to leave tomorrow. We've been cheated out of one whole day of our much longed for holiday, because the ferries are over the place at the moment. But this lovely place will always be here. Maybe you should try and work it in to one of your trips over here, one of these years!!! A xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!