Skip to main content

50 years ago

This weekend, fifty years ago, I went to stay with my school friend Gabrielle.  We were both at Basingstoke High School, and she lived not far away in the neighbouring village of Old Basing.  School finished at 3.30 pm, as usual, and as we left the school grounds a horrible smell drifted up the hill, from the direction of the busy A30 road.  At the bottom of the hill there was a big pond called Black Dam.  A number of small streams ran into it, and on a good day it would have been teeming with pond life, fish, ducks, moorhens and other water birds.  But this was not a good day, Friday, 21 October 1966, because a tanker had careered down the hill and overturned into the pond, spilling its foul smelling chemicals into the water, which then trickled out into the tributaries, eventually killing everything in its wake.

The smell of the chemicals hung in a pall over the area all weekend, adding another horrible layer to my memory of the disaster of catastrophic proportions which had taken place earlier that same day, in Aberfan,130 miles away.  For me, the two events are inextricably linked and have always stayed sharp in my memory, in the same way that everyone remembers what they were doing, where they were, and, in my case, what I was wearing when I heard that JFK had been assassinated.  How could any of us forget the scenes of devastation and desolation on the faces of the people of Aberfan, as they fought to come to terms with the fact they had lost a whole generation of children from their village.

So, with another image of my childhood, here is Peter Pan, in memory of all those children, who will remain forever young.

Comments

  1. This happened the year before I was born so no wonder I hadn't heard of it. How awful for a mining village and to think if it had happened a few hours later, they would have been on half term. Life is cruel. Forever Young! x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!