Skip to main content

A trio of allotments

I love allotments.  Even though I have plenty of space in the garden for growing anything and everything I choose to plant, I still miss having an allotment.  I remember that every time I walked through the gate, into the allotment gardens in Edinburgh, I would feel a surge of positive energy.  I think that all the collective activity, passion, care and attention that goes into tending a plot just melds together on an allotment site, and creates a really special place.

I've peered over the hedge into three different allotment gardens in the past week.  The first was the new organic India Place allotments, in Edinburgh.  It's an unusual site, and best explained by visiting their website (I don't think many allotment gardens have their own website!!) http://www.indiaplaceallotments.org.uk  They have an architect designed hut, or meeting place, and their sheds are the old coal bunkers which belonged to the tenements which were demolished in the early sixties.  I've watched the allotments evolve over the past few years, because they haven't been there long.  They seem to be settling in nicely!
I was in Edinburgh to meet a friend for lunch.  We met up at the National Gallery of Modern Art. Across the road, in the grounds of the Dean Gallery, there is another, long established allotment site.  I have always enjoyed leaning over the wall and inspecting their bijoux little plots, all neatly edged round by low box hedges.  This was once the kitchen garden for the Dean Orphan Hospital, which was built in 1833, so the soil here will have yielded tons of fruit and vegetables over almost two hundred years. In the Dean Gallery allotments I have inadvertently picked another allotment site which you can read more about, in this article in The Daily Telegraph last year.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardenstovisit/11002275/Is-this-Britains-classiest-allotment.html.  

In the photo below you can just about see the front of the Gallery of Modern Art across the road from The Dean.
And thirdly, to an allotment site which is not the least bit classy, but rather more the real thing.  One of the things I love about these places is the 'mend and make do' approach, the bits and bobs found in a skip and carted to the plot to create something useful, and the old armchair given a new lease of life and strategically placed to collapse into after a back-breaking bout of digging.  

The plots below, in the gardens of Cockenzie House, just outside Edinburgh, are slowly appearing, where the land has been neglected for years.  Couch grass and other dreadful weeds are gradually being replaced with raised beds, and rows of potatoes.  It's not a glamorous spot, but these plots are much loved.  You can tell - you wouldn't do it otherwise, far too back-breaking!

Comments

  1. Lovely to see such industry in such a relatively small space.
    I remember the allotments at the end of Bow Street when we lived there.
    I remember your space in Edinburgh...and your little hut....I'm so glad you have the wonderful space and woodland you have now. Happy days. Enjoy your weeks with all the family xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!