Skip to main content

Outdoor classroom!

It has been a blessed relief today to get away from all the endless chat on the radio and television, the speculation and analysis of what might happen tomorrow, and escape to the woods!  I went to another conservation volunteer training session in a wood I haven't visited before, an election-free zone.  It is tucked away at the foot of the Lammermuirs, where the hills start to peter out as they meet the sea.  

We met in the car park and we stayed in the car park for quite a long time!  The banks near where we left our cars held an enormous array of material, for the lover and student of wild plants. 
On the bank in the photo above we identified campion, crosswort, yellow vetchling, stinging nettle, dead nettle, wild garlic, garlic mustard, wood woundwort, cow parsley, giant hogweed - and there were plenty of others we didn't stop to inspect.  Most of these plants were not in flower, but there's where the learning process comes in.  We couldn't rely on the bloom, we had to check out the shape of the stem (square, round), how the leaves were arranged along the stem, was it hairy or not, and was the plant monocotyledon or dicotyledon?  And we didn't even start on the grasses!  It was some time before we moved off, to walk along the path to where we hoped the bluebells would be flowering.
At the beginning of the path there was a notice advising the walker to watch out for adders lying on the footpath.  April and May is when we might expect to see them.  I rather hoped not.  I hate snakes.  Luckily we didn't come across any, despite some nice warm sunshine which should have lured them out into the open.  Phew!

Walking along the path we stopped to look at the two types of primroses, dog violets, pignut, wild angelica, barren strawberry, and common sorrel (which for some unknown reason, I used to call tomato soup when I was a little girl!).  Apart from the flowers themselves, I love their names.
There is something incredibly reassuring and peaceful about standing around in a little group, focussing on the minute details and extraordinary design of a minuscule flower or leaf.  Examining it closely with an eyeglass, and talking about the family it belongs to, and all its unique and immaculately worked out detail.  Designed to ensure its survival and whatever the elements may throw at it.   And at no point today was the election mentioned, not once.  All those people holding rallies, and rocking around the UK on party political battle buses were just lost and had no place here.
Ah, but, sadly, they should.  Over the past weeks, with manifestos being brandished everywhere, words spoken at us, 'promises' made, conflicting figures and statistics chucked at us with the intention of impressing, the politicians and their flunkies, spin doctors and groupies, have made virtually no mention of the environment.  They haven't addressed the crucial importance of the balance of nature and why we need to keep the biodiversity of our countryside healthy.  
I went on this walk today with a clear mind.  Having deliberated, cogitated and digested all the words I have heard over the past weeks, I knew that the only way I can be true to myself is to vote for the Green Party.  I reckon if they care about the environment - which unquestionably they do - then they will also care about people.  The two have to be inextricably linked.  The environment isn't something you just engage with, maybe, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, when you drag yourself and your family out for a walk.  The environment is our world.  Everything else follows on.  So, all this lovely green stuff around me this morning served as an affirmation that I have made the right decision.  And anyway, I don't believe in tactical voting.  In my view, it is not a democratic vote.

The very cold weather of the last week has not encouraged the bluebells to come out, so there were very few to see.  But at least those we did see are our native bluebell.  Not the Spanish interlopers.
Our training session over-ran by about an hour, and we could have gone on and on.  But there will be another on Saturday.  I'm looking forward to that, rather more than all that is going to take place in between times!
 

Comments

  1. Wonderful carpet of lush green. Looks so inviting xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a blissful morning! All those beautiful wild flowers-in-waiting! And so absorbing - those two hours became three without us even noticing! Lovely. A x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Mrs Gaucho, you are not alone in your voting intentions. This will be the second time that I have voted Green in a general election and, like any number of friends, I have now also joined the Green Party. I live, as you know in one of the Tory heartlands, where the Conservative party vote is predicted to be at least 16% above the national average. So, even if one were inclined to vote tactically (which one isn't . .) there would be no point. Even more depressing is the fact the UKIP is now forecast to come second, a place traditionally held in this constituency by the LibDems. So am voting with heart and mind for what I believe in. It's the only way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough isn't it? But I don't believe in abandoning principle, so in order to be true to what I hold dear, there is only one option available. That's a sad situation in itself, let alone the rampant ignorance going on in places where a big difference could be made! x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!