Skip to main content

Wedding weekend

I've got very behind with the blog, we've had such a busy time since the lead up to our son's wedding, which took place in Darwin, on 13 December.  A group of ten of us flew up to Darwin on 11 December - a four hour flight.
Australia is such a vast country, and although much of its interior is red desert, I could see some wonderful patterns in the landscape below us, some are man made,
but most are spectacular natural landforms.
 
The colour of the heart of Australia looks like this!  Beautiful!
My two other children travelled from Scotland to celebrate their brother’s wedding.  The two boys hadn’t seen each other for four years, and in fact we had not been together as a family for that time, so it was all eagerly anticipated.  We had a joyous reunion at the airport!

This is the wet season in Darwin.  In Australia, that part of the country is referred to as the top end.  Very hot, very humid, and at this time of the year, not a comfortable place to be!  The wedding was held outside and thankfully the normal pattern of weather for 6 o’clock in the evening, i.e. a thunderstorm and a deluge of rain, didn’t happen!  The bride’s arrival, on her father’s arm, with our little granddaughter as her flower girl, was accompanied by bagpipes – a little bit of Scotland which was a welcome sound to me, although probably took a few of the local Aboriginal community by surprise!   
We were in Darwin for four days, and of course there are some attractions you cannot miss if you are a visitor to that part of the world, namely the crocodiles!  We took the wee girl to see some snappy-snappies!  She loved it!  She had no fear of the “monsters” at all!  She even held a baby one, giving it a kiss on the end of its nose before handing it back to the keeper!  (Croc's mouth touth taped shut, btw!).
 A festive skeleton
and a live croc called Axel, 5.1 metres long, with rather larger teeth than the baby croc we saw earlier!
Look out!  He's behind you!!!!

And of more interest to me, some of the lovely flowers of Darwin!  The frangipani is one of my favourites.  It has a lovely glossy leaf, and the flowers have the most delicious scent.  They seemed to at their blooming best when we were there.
Below, spider lilies, Hymenocallis, a very strange looking flower indeed.

Just before we left Darwin I visited the town's Chinese temple.  It was in a pretty basic corrugated shed like building, but peaceful and very colourful inside.
I asked if it would be alright for me to take photographs, and the gentleman who showed me into the temple told me that they were Taoist, and that their religion was very carefree, and of course it would be fine for me to take photos!  I loved that sense of being care free!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!